Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Entries from the Top 100: Coconut Records, "West Coast"

Location: 20ish

Seeing Jason Schwartzman on Bill Murray’s (largely forgettable) Netflix Christmas special brought to mind this little gem from Schwartzman’s solo project Coconut Records. For years I thought it was a side project of the singer from Phoenix (who are also featured in the special), but that’s not the case at all. Anyways. This is a finely crafted little indie pop song. The lyrics are simple and poignant, and “tonight I think I’ll be staying here” gets me every time. For me it brings me back to a trip from a few years ago, combining the fond nostalgia from an enjoyable week tempered with regret for an opportunity not taken. Without that context I can see this ending up just another cute indie pop song, but there's nothing wrong with that. Throw in on some playlists (especially given the relative lack of polish on the rest of the album) and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment